Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"back in my go mode, back in the go-go"

I'll be honest, there's nothing really inspiring this post linking these songs together other than the fact that I just want to post them (and the Wale concert last night). In that respect, I'm gonna give you a couple go-go songs, but other than that this is all random.

Jimi Hendrix - Midnight [zshare]

I don't really think I need to explain a Jimi Hendrix song, but nevertheless I'll say that this song is an incredible showcase of his skill.

Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner live @ Woodstock [zshare]
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower [zshare]

If you know anything about Hendrix and Vietnam and Woodstock and Bob Dylan, these songs not only are brilliant but show the incredible social power of music and the incredible talent of Jimi to cover a Dylan song (Watchtower) and make it more popular than the original. I forget who it was but some famous artist said after Jimi performed at Woodstock he didn't want to touch a guitar for a year. That's ballin.

Go-Go time:

The Northeast Groovers - Aquaboogie (by Parliament Funk) Live [zshare]

Not *quite* a cover in the strictest sense of the word, but I guess it's an interpolation? Anyways, from a live performance in 1993, this is pretty cool if you like drums. What more can I say? Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop.

The Northeast Groovers - Represent (by A Tribe Called Quest) Live [zshare]
The Northeast Groovers - Sadie (by the Spinners) Live [zshare]

A couple more live performances from that 1993 show, covering one of my favorite Tribe songs and a great classic by the Spinners you may recognize as the sample for 2pac's "Dear Mama"

The Northeast Groovers - You Got me (by the Roots) Live
[zshare]

As far as I can tell, Go-Go bands don't have songs unless they're doing covers, so here's another go-go version of a great song. Right now I actually don't know if this is really a cover or if they're just playing but I'm calling it that because I've got nothing else to call it.

[/Go-Go]

Diz Gibran - Truly Yours ft. BJ the Chicago Kid [zshare]

I don't know if I've posted this before, but I'm posting it anyway because he just released a new free mixtape, Soon You'll Understand, available on the internets via google search.

Kanye West - Amazing (live on VH1 Storytellers) [zshare]
Kanye West - See You In My Nightmares (Live on VH1 Storytellers) [zshare]

The whole VH1 performance by Kanye was amazing, if you're down with 808's and Heartbreak, and these two performances are definitely better than the album versions. I've cut off most of the talking/interlude parts, leaving just the music.

KiD CuDi - Sky Might Fall [zshare]
KiD CuDi - Look Up in Da Stars ft. Wale [zshare]

A couple recent tracks by Dat Kid from Cleveland, both are pretty good, I'm glad he didn't actually retire.

QuESt - Bigger Than World remix [zshare]

Why not, I like this song. QuESt is pretty dope, keep an eye out for him.

Wale - The Feature Heavy Song ft Bun B & Pusha T [zshare]

In honor of the Wale show last night, I bring you the final piece in this posting puzzle, also known as "Back in the Go-Go," this song is from Wale's Mixtape About Nothing, one of the best hip-hop releases of last year, without a doubt. Featuring two rap heavyweights in the legendary Underground King Bun-B and Pusha T representing the Clipse, how can you doubt this?

"I do it for the capital, Wale Ovechkin"

No comments: