Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Teenage Wildlife

[Teenage Wildlife by Cecily Brown]


Doing things a little differently this time.
First: Posting. Now that's a new concept around here.
Second: Decided to do a theme post. The theme is Cecily Brown. And more specifically Teenage Wildlife.





Iron & Wine: The Sea and the Rhythm [zshare]

This was the first song that came to mind. Sad that I didn't discover it till late last year.
With lines like "Our hands they seek the end of afternoons" and "Your hands they move like waves over me. Beneath the moon, tonight, we're the sea" how can this song not be beautiful? S.Beam does a great job at keeping this song [about sex] intimate, romantic. I wish I was in my car in Chicago right now, driving home at 4a, blasting this song with the windows down.


Lauryn Hill: When It Hurts So Bad [zshare]

I've been listening to a lot of L.Hill lately. I love this song so much. Though it makes me so sad sometimes. "I loved real, real hard once." This definitely fits the Teenage Wildlife theme. Figuring out what love is and isn't... the hard way. Listen.


Air: Playground Love [zshare]

Taken from the Virgin Suicides soundtrack [Watch it!]. Obsession, passion, fear, confusion, playground love.


Amy Whinehouse: Love is a Losing Game (Original Demo) [zshare]

Okay. Okay. Yeah I know. Who likes Amy Whinehouse, right?
And yeah, her racist remarks? I know. Did you see/like Apocalypo? Watch Seinfeld? Inspired by Gandhi's teachings? blah blah et cetera. Getting off topic...
I've always glanced over A.Whinehouse. I didn't like Rehab or the other popular tunes she's managed to pump out. But scanning the interwebs I came across this song and it wasn't at all what I expected. The acoustic guitar makes her voice sound so sincere and callous. It's quite nice.


Jihae: Do I Move You? [zshare]

A beautiful trip hop cover of a great Nina Simone song. I was a little apprehensive about it until I heard the horns blend blending into the sensual feedback, ambiance, and drum machine within the first 20sec of the track. Probably a little too mature for teenage love but the passion is there. "When I touch you do you quiver?"


The Stylistics: Betcha By Golly, Wow [zshare]

No explanation needed. Can't you hear it in his voice? Come now.


Anthony Hamilton: Charlene [zshare]

"Come on home to me, Charlene."
Another heartbreaker. Usual ending to teenage romance.
And the last track to this post.
A.Hamilton's voice is so great. I just wish he made 'better' songs, chose better collaborations, and not be so predictable. Sorry for being so hard on ya, boy. I'm just saying is all.
Oh! Trust me. That is not the case with "Charlene."

No comments: