Sunday, May 24, 2009

...but I'm not worried at all

[Photo by Guy Sargent]


All of these tracks deserve their own separate post.
Keep that in mind.
Here is a short list of my favorite songs at the moment...
Enjoy.




Thiago Pethit: Fuga Nº1 [zshare]

I love Portuguese. And I love Beirut.
So this song became an instant favorite.


Menahan Street Band: Tired of Fighting [zshare]

I have to thank Soul Sides for getting me into this group. THANK YOU!
I've been listening to them for a while now, and not until recently did I actually look into the group. And everything just came full circle.
Sharon Jones & Dap Kings [Yes, please!] + El Michels Affair [more on these guy later] + Budos Band [!!!] = Menahan Street Band. What more could you ask for.
And this song. This song is my new "That Hump". And that's saying a lot.


Novel: Sky Might Fall [zshare]

I'm not a big fan of Kid Cudi's "Sky Might Fall". So I was definitely open to some remixes and covers. Novel did not disappoint. His soul version is amazing. This track has been on repeat for a while now. Cudi should seriously consider producing from some R&B acts.


Dionne Warwick: You're Gonna Need Me [zshare]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this song. It's just simply amazing.
"You're gonna need me one day" is something that everyone has said at least once.
On my list of all time favorite songs. Thank you, Dionne.


MC Solaar: Caroline [zshare]

There's no surprise that MC Solaar is France's most well know rapper. Not knowing any French at all, one can easily recognize this man's talent.
"Caroline" is about love, loss, and a hint of gambling. It's filled with beautiful poetry and plenty of wordplay [the interwebs told me so].
The most infectious line "L’as de trèfle qui pique ton cœur" is literally "The ace of clubs that stings (also ’spade’) your heart".
Marvelous.

[translated chorus]
I’m the ace of clubs that trumps your heart
The ace of clubs that trumps your heart…
The ace of clubs that trumps your heart…
Caroline…



El Michels Affair: Shimmy Shimmy Ya [zshare]

Wu Tang. Kids chanting. Horns.
How could this cover [?] get any better?
Check this pretty dope article over at NPR by O.Wang. Won't disappoint.


Vybz Kartel: Last Man Standing [zshare]

I was in Trinidad & Tobago from January to May.
Basically what I'm trying to say... this isn't the last V.Kartel song that will be posted here on the Interstate.
This is a great example of some popular dancehall at the moment. And it turns out that rap feuds are universal. This is a great diss song, and the crowds get hyped at T&T parties when it comes on.

No comments: