Saturday, July 25, 2009

I stand outside this woman's work



[Photo by Ilona Olkonen]


COVERS!!!
Here are a few covers that I've been obsessing over lately:


Maxwell: This Woman's Work [zshare]

Okay. To be honest, I didn't even know this was a cover until very recently. [Boohoo].
I listened to the original. Sadly, it didn't do anything for me. I grew up listening to this version.
I remember Maxwell's album, Now, so clearly. My mom would play it all of the time. And do you guys remember the music video?! Falling into the concrete like it was water and swimming across the street? Haha It was so groundbreaking at the time.
But seriously, this is one of my classic faves.
If you like this look up Kem, Floetry, even some Jill Scott.


She & Him: Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want [zshare]

I love The Smiths. I know that I probably shouldn't say that out loud, but I love 'em.
The cover isn't that much different than the original but who cares, it's Zooey Deschanel!
If ZDeschanel, M.Ward, and The Smiths didn't get you to download this song... I don't know what will.

This Ojibwe saying is so fitting:

Sometimes
I go about in pity for myself,

and all the while

a great wind is bearing me across the sky



Ellie Goulding: Wolves [zshare]

I was a little weary of this one. Bon Iver's Wolves (Act I & II) became an instant favorite at first listen and is still fresh in my mind. But not to fear. This cover is amazing.
She didn't change much about the song but the different voice and cadence alone makes this song worth listening to. Keep and eye out for this girl!

1 comment:

A Bowl Of Mush said...

Hi,

Do you still have the song 'this woman's work'?
The link that's up like skips funny.
I can't find this song aaaanywhere, everyone keeps putting up the live version of it!

Thanks :)